Bishops

 

The Most Reverend Cornelios, Metropolitan of Petra (in the world Emmanuel Rodousakis) was born in 1936 in Margarikario of Heraclion, Crete. He came to Jerusalem in 1951.

He graduated from the Patriarchal School and was tonsured Monk in 1958. In 1959 he was ordained as Deacon. He is a graduate of the Theological School of Halki. He was anointed Priest in 1964 and was elevated to the rank of Archimandrite in 1965. In 1967 he was sent for further studies to the Geneva Ecumenical Institute and in 1972 he was appointed Member of the Holy and Sacred Synod.

He served as Chief Sacristan, as Teacher and Principal of the Patriarchal School and also as Chief Editor and Director of the Journal “New Sion” and President of Education.

In October 1976 he was elected and anointed Archbishop of Sebastia. In 1978 he was appointed Patriarchal Commissioner to Bethlehem. In 1981 he was appointed President of the School Board.

In 1991 he was named Metropolitan. He was appointed President of the Ecclesiastic Court in Jerusalem. In 2000 he was appointed President of Economic Affairs.

He served as Locum Tenens of the Throne. In 2001 he was appointed Patriarchal Commissioner. As a representative of the Patriarchate, he took part in various Conferences and Missions.

He again served as Locum Tenens of the Throne in 2005.

The Most Reverend Kyriakos, Metropolitan of Nazareth (in the world Andreas Georgopetris) was born in Chlomotina of Corfu in 1945. He came to Jerusalem in 1958.

He graduated from the Patriarchal School, was tonsured Monk and ordained as Deacon in 1964. In 1966 he was anointed Priest. He received the title of Archimandrite in 1967 and was appointed Abbot of the Holy Monastery of Mount Tabor.

In 1972 he was nominated Vice-Sacristan of the Most Holy Church of the Resurrection. In 1967 he was appointed Abbot of the Holy Monastery of Saint George in Beit Jalla. In 1981 he was nominated Sacristan, and in 1984 he was appointed Patriarchal Commissioner to Accra.

In 1989 he was elected Bishop of Anthedon, having been appointed Patriarchal Commissioner to Accra and assistant to the Metropolitan of Nazareth. In 1991 he was elected Metropolitan of Nazareth.

In 2010 he was appointed Member of the Holy and Sacred Synod.

The Metropolitan Kyriakos of Nazareth is a graduate of the Theological School of the University of Athens.

He took part in official missions of the Patriarchate.

The Most Reverend Amvrosios, Metropolitan of Neapolis (in the world Nikolaos Antonopoulos) was born in Piraeus in 1934. He came to Jerusalem in 1953. He graduated from the Patriarchal School in 1959.

He was tonsured Monk and ordained as Deacon in 1957. He was anointed Priest in 1962 and was appointed Master of Ceremonies and Introducer of the Patriarchates. In 1963 he received the title of Archimandrite.

He studied the Sacred Sciences at the Theological School of the

University of Athens. He served as Librarian, Archivist, Teacher at the Patriarchal School, and Abbot of the Mother of God Monument in Gethsemane. In 1979 he was appointed Patriarchal Commissioner to Accra.

In March 1981 he was elected and anointed Archbishop of Neapolis. In 1999 he was named Metropolitan of Neapolis.

In 2001 he was appointed Member of the Holy and Sacred Synod and Patriarchal Commissioner to Bethlehem.

He accompanied Patriarch Benedict in his travels to Constantinople, Russia, America, England and Serbia and served as member of the Patriarchal Delegation on the enthronement of Patriarch Maximus of Bulgaria.

The Most Reverend Isychios, Metropolitan of Capitolias (in the world Elias Condogiannis) was born in 1944 in Aharnes, Attica. He came to Jerusalem in 1958. He graduated from the Patriarchal School in 1962.

On 18 December 1961 he was tonsured Monk and the following day was ordained as Deacon. He was anointed Priest in 1964. He served as Abbot in Karak. In 1967 he was advanced to Archimandrite. He studied at the Law School of the University of Athens.

In 1976 he was appointed member of the Finance and Education Committees. In 1978 he was appointed President of the Ecclesiastic Judicial Court at Joppa. In 1981 he was appointed Patriarchal Commissioner to Accra.

On 16 March 1984 he was elected Bishop of Avila and anointed on March 26th of the same year, having been appointed Patriarchal Commissioner to Irbet of Jordan. In 1991 he was elected Archbishop of Capitolias. In 1994 he was named Metropolitan and was appointed Vice-President of the Finance Committee and President of the Estate Committee.

In 2001 he was appointed Member of the Holy and Sacred Synod, President of the Jerusalem School Board and President of the Press and Information Office. In 2003 he was appointed Patriarchal Commissioner.

In 2005 he was appointed Legal Counsel to the Patriarchate.

In 2009 he was appointed President of the Schools of the Patriarchate.


In 2012 he was named Patriarchal Commissioner.

The Most Reverend Timotheos, Metropolitan of Bostroi (in the world Theodore Margaritis) was born in Patras in 1951. He arrived in Jerusalem in 1967. A graduate of the Patriarchal School, he was tonsured Monk and ordained as Deacon in 1970.

In 1975 he was anointed Priest. He studied the Sacred Sciences at the Theological Academy of St Petersburg, from where he graduated in 1980 receiving the title of “Kandidat” of Theology.

In 1978 he received the title of Archimandrite. He was appointed Secretary of the Patriarchal Offices, and in 1981 was promoted to the rank of Chief Secretary. He served as member of the School Board. In 1983 he was named Elder Chief Secretary and in 1985 he was appointed Member of the Holy and Sacred Synod.

In 1988 he was elected Bishop of Porphyroupolis, maintaining the position of Chief Secretary until 2001. In 1991 he was elected Archbishop of Lydda. In 1998 he was elevated to Metropolitan of Bostroi. He took part in various Conferences as a representative of the Patriarchate, and in the Conference of Churches of the Middle East from 1986 to 2001.

He accompanied Patriarch Diodoros in his official visits to all Orthodox Autocephalous Churches.

In October 2005 he was appointed head of the reorganization of the Exarchy of Cyprus.   

The Most Reverend Christodoulos, Metropolitan of Eleftheroupolis (in the world Christos Saridakis) was born in Kamara of Heraklion, Crete in 1943. He came to Jerusalem in 1957.

A graduate of the Patriarchal School, he was tonsured Monk and was ordained as Deacon in 1962. In 1964 he was anointed Priest. He received the title of the Archimandrite in 1967.

He studied at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and at the Theological School of the University of Athens.

He served as Abbot of the Holy Monasteries of Saint Charalambos, Saint George in Ramla, and Saint Symeon the God Receiver in Catamonas. He was then appointed Teacher at the Patriarchal School, Chief Sacristan, Vice-President of the Ecclesiastic Court of First Instance in Jerusalem, President of the Ecclesiastic Court in Joppa, Abbot of the Mother of God Monument in Gethsemane and Assistant Dragoman. In 1985 he was appointed Elder Dragoman.

In 1988 he was elected Bishop of Areopolis maintaining the position of Dragoman. In 1991 he was appointed Member of the Holy and Sacred Synod. In 1991 he was advanced to Archbishop of Eleftheroupolis. In 1994 he was named Metropolitan.

The Most Reverend Benedict, Metropolitan of Philadelphia (in the world George Tsekouras) was born in Kalavryta of Ahaia in 1957. Having completed his studies at Aigio, he was tonsured Monk in 1976 at the Monastery of Holy Lavra. He came to Jerusalem in 1982 and was inducted in the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre. In 1983 he was ordained as Deacon and in 1986 Priest, receiving the title of Archimandrite.

He was appointed Abbot of the Holy Monastery of St Catherine in Jerusalem, Master of Ceremonies of the Patriarchate and Treasurer of the Holy Community. The Institute of the Life-Giving Source and Saint Diodoros was built in Jericho under his supervision.

In 1994 he was appointed member of the Holy and Sacred Synod. In February 1998 he was elected and anointed Archbishop of Gaza. In 2000 he was appointed Patriarchal Commissioner to Amman. In 2001 he was promoted to Metropolitan of Philadelphia.

The following buildings were erected under his supervision and care: the Churches of Saint John the Baptist in Jordan, of Sts Constantine and Helen in Marj el Hamam, a Polyclinic and Kindergarten in Amman and the Museum within the Holy Metropolis. The ancient Church of Saint George at Salt was restored and the bookshop of the Holy Metropolis founded. The year 2005 saw the completion of the Chapel of Saint Nectarios in the Holy Metropolis.

He accompanied Patriarch Diodoros during his official visits.

Next page...